Urban India is a peer-reviewed, bi-annual journal, published regularly by National Institute of Urban Affairs since 1981. Since inception, the journal has been publishing meaningful urban research and facilitating informed debates on India’s urban sector. The journal tries to bring forth to the readers new concepts, theories, policies, debates and methodological approaches related to urbanization, urban development, governance, housing and infrastructure, inclusion, municipal finance, climate change, transport and other related issues in India. In addition to research articles, Urban India also publishes book reviews and workshop proceedings.
The journal primarily aims at:
• Spearheading new ideas and facilitating informed debates.
• Documenting journey of India’s urbanization story through various research papers, data analytics, good practices and book reviews.
• Engaging researchers, policy makers, academia, civil societies, non-governmental organizations in the policy challenge discourse.
The journal is listed in UGC-CARE List Group D.
Debolina Kundu, Professor, National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi
Satpal Singh, Research Officer, National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi
Pragya Sharma, Project Manager, National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi
Hitesh Vaidya, Director, National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi
Abdul Shaban, Deputy Director (TISS Tuljapur Campus) and Professor, School of Development Studies, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
Amita Bhide, Professor and Dean, School of Habitat Studies, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
Anil Kumar Roy, Associate Professor, Faculty of Planning, CEPT University, Ahmedabad
Annapurna Shaw, Professor (Retd), Public Policy and Management Group, Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, Kolkata
Himanshu, Associate Professor, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Jandhyala BG. Tilak, ICSSR National Fellow and Distinguished Professor, Council for Social Development, New Delhi; Former Professor and Vice Chancellor, NUEPA, New Delhi
Kala Seetharam Sridhar, Professor, Centre for Research in Urban Affairs, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangaluru
Lekha S. Chakraborty, Associate Professor, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy
Mahalaya Chatterjee, Professor, Centre for Urban Economic Studies, Department of Economics, University of Calcutta, Kolkatta
Neetha N., Professor and Acting Director, Centre for Women's Development Studies, New Delhi
Pulin B. Nayak, Professor (Retd), Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi
R.B. Singh, Professor, Department of Geography, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi
Rumi Aijaz, Senior Fellow, Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi
S.K. Sasikumar, Senior Fellow, V.V.Giri National labour Institute, NOIDA
S.K. Thorat, Professor Emeritus, Jawaharlal Nehru University and Managing Trustee, Indian Institute of Dalit Studies, New Delhi
Sewa Ram, Professor, Department of Transport Planning, School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
Shrawan Acharya, Professor, Centre for the Study of Regional Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Soumendu Chatterjee, Professor and Head, Department of Geography, Presidency University, Kolkata
Srinivas Goli, Assistant Professor, Centre for the Study of Regional Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Umamaheshwaran Rajasekar, Chair, Urban Resilience Unit, National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi
Urmi Sengupta, Lecturer, School of Natural and Built Environment, Queen's University Belfast, Northern Ireland
V.N. Alok, Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi
- Urban India solicits original manuscripts which are not published previously or currently under consideration elsewhere. Contributions to conferences and workshops are welcome, as long as they are not published in the same form in conference proceedings or on the internet.
- The journal publishes articles under categories of research articles, perspectives and book reviews.
- The journal do not charge any submission/publication fee.
- Authors will be notified of decisions regarding acceptance, rejection, or revision of articles only after both the internal and the external peer review processes are completed. The internal review will take 4 weeks and the peer review additional 6 to 8 weeks.
- Manuscripts should be addressed to - The Editor, Dr. Debolina Kundu, National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi email@example.com . Please mention "Manuscript for Submission" in the subject line.
- All editorial and subscription related correspondence can be addressed to Dr. Satpal Singh, Managing Editor, firstname.lastname@example.org with cc to email@example.com or can be sent by post at
National Institute of Urban Affairs
Ist Floor, Core 4B, India Habitat Centre,
Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110 003
Phone: (91) 011-24617517 I 24643284
- Urban India is a bi-annual journal published in June and December every year. We solicit unpublished articles on a regular basis. The themes and topics covered in the journal include urbanization, urban development, governance, housing and infrastructure, inclusion, municipal finance, climate change and other issues related to urban development pertaining to India.
- The articles submitted between March to September will be considered for publication in subsequent January issue and articles submitted between October to subsequent February will be considered for June issue.
- Authors interested in contributing articles may refer to the Guidelines for submitting manuscript
- The manuscript should be emailed in word format to the Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment can be made through Cheque / Bank Draft / WIRE Tranfers
Cheques/Bank Drafts should be drawn in favour of “National Institute of Urban Affairs”, New Delhi, should be sent to the following address:
National Institute of Urban Affairs
1st and 2nd Floor, Core 4B, India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110003, INDIA
Ph: (+91 11) 24643284/24617517, Fax: (+91 11) 24617513
Payment can be made online as per the following details:
Account Holder Name : NIUA/General Account
Bank Name : State Bank of India
Address : Core 6, Scope Complex, Lodhi Road, Delhi – 110003
Account No : 52142908059
IFSC Code : SBIN0020511
MICR : 110004005
SWIFT Code : SBININBBH42