Background for NIUA:
National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) is premier institute for research, capacity building and dissemination of knowledge for the urban sector in India. It is registered as an autonomous body under the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India. NIUA conducts research in emerging themes such as urbanization, urban policy and planning, municipal finance and governance, land economics, transit oriented development, urban livelihoods, environment and climate change and smart cities. NIUA supports innovations in the urban sector through informed dialogues, knowledge exchanges, training and capacity building. In its mission to promote evidence-based policy making and urban scholarship, NIUA is currently engaged in inter-disciplinary research and proactive engagements with change agents, which involve projects that create & maintain digital interface solutions.
Background for the Positions:
Smartnet is an initiative of the Ministry of Urban Development established to support development of cities across India and create a resource-rich ecosystem of learning, sharing and disseminating knowledge for city managers and primary stakeholders responsible for urban transformation of India.
The key objective of Smartnet is:
- To provide a horizontal learning platform for exchange between cities, practitioners, academia, researchers and technologists;
- To evolve a comprehensive framework for knowledge sharing amongst cities implementing the various urban sector missions.
Smartnet includes sections like Smart City Mission Dashboard, MIS, Project related documents, City-specific pages, Training Calendar, Products Gallery, Discussion Forum for crowd-sourcing ideas, Newsletter, etc. More at smartnet.niua.org
CIDCO Smart City:
CIDCO has established a ‘CIDCO Smart City Lab' at NIUA to develop capacities within CIDCO for planning, designing, implementing and managing integrated urban projects and solutions. This lab is a research and capacity-building unit that provides support to CIDCO's technical personnel through action research, documentation and capacity building with a particular focus on the development of 'smart cities'.
The ‘CIDCO Smart City Lab’ unit, inter alia, performs the following broad activities:
- Capture and create awareness about the existing knowledge within CIDCO, such as the innovations and best practices that have been produced by CIDCO.
- Conduct training needs assessments for CIDCO’s technical and management staff.
- Plan the training calendar and seek approval of Advisory Committee.
- Create knowledge products and learning tools that will enrich the training experience.
- Create awareness about smart and innovative solutions in priority sectors, such as: Land-use planning and management, Traffic &Transportation, Utility networks, Public services, Conservation/preservation of Greenery, Energy efficiency
NIUA wishes to hire two software professionals, one for each of the above projects
Qualifications: B.Tech / MCA
Experience: 4 to 6 years, with experience in creating and maintaining similar web-interface platforms
- Core PHP with OOP.
- Strong in Drupal.
- Strong Query, MySQL database, and data mining skills.
- Strong HTML, CSS3 and jQuery.
- To integrate HTML/CSS responsive designs as user-panels and dashboards.
- Basic knowledge of responsive layouts, UI/UX design principles, ability to make & maintain them.
- Working knowledge of Web Services / APIs.
- Basic understanding of SEO.
- Ability to work as a team with designers and developers.
- Application should contain detailed CV and a cover letter focussing on the relevant experience
- Applications should reach before April 30, 2017 to the following email address: email@example.com
- Mention subject as "CV for Software Professionals"
- Only the shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
Location of positions:
For both positions: NIUA office, IHC, Lodhi Road, New Delhi. The CIDCO Smart City position maybe required to travel & stay to CIDCO office, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai once in a while for client interface
Term of positions:
The positions are on a contractual basis for a period of one year initially and extendable based on the project timelines. Persons allotted other work or re-assigned internally following same skill-sets
Monthly remuneration: At par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills. Proof of past remuneration would be required.
Advertisement for Research Associates under SBM Exposure Workshop project 2017 of NIUA
We require four Research Associates for seven months, April 17th to November 17th 2017 under Swachh Bharat Mission Exposure Workshop project 2017 of NIUA at NIUA, New Delhi for helping in organizing, conducting, documenting and reporting about 12 SBM Exposure workshops including coordinating site visits in Delhi NCR and classroom sessions at the selected venue.
Minimum qualifications required for the above is Post graduate degree in Science or Humanities with Environment as a main subject. Please apply with updated CVs having email id and phone numbers on or before April 9th, 2017, to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Shortlisted candidates will be required to present themselves for a personal interview at NIUA in the second week of April.
Professor, NIUA and
Coordinator, SWM Exposure Workshop, SBM 2017
Terms of Reference
City Innovation Hub Manager (3 Positions)
For 'Innovation Hub for Urban WASH Solutions' Project
Taru Leading Edge, development advisory and think-tank, in association with National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA), IRC and Ennovent, and with the strategic collaboration of YES BANK and Valluri Technology Accelerators, has initiated a project 'Innovation Hub for Urban WASH Solutions' which is supported and funded by USAID. The project will support the development of scalable solutions for urban water, sanitation and hygiene in India within the national, regional, state and city framework. The hub will lead activities that support the national and state urban initiatives (AMRUT, SBM, SMART City Programs) and proactively engage with a wide range of partners, including the private sector, to discover and develop innovations and devise intervention strategies and business models for delivering effective, affordable and sustainable WASH solutions in the Indian context. The initiative will contribute significantly to achieving the recently adopted Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 6: for clean water and sanitation to all, besides other SDG commitments and other national commitments by the GoI.
The primary goal of the initiative will be to improve urban WASH sector performance through incubation and acceleration of innovative solutions, technologies, programs and service delivery models within a collaborative framework. A core element of the initiative is to build partnerships with and between public, government (national/state/local), civil society, private sector stakeholders, academia, donors, etc. dedicated to establishing shared visions and improving WASH outcomes, as well as facilitating knowledge sharing among cities, states and national platforms.
As part of the project, a National Innovation Hub has been set-up to overall manage the project planning, implementation and monitoring activities. The project shall be piloted in 3 cities- Udaipur, Faridabad and Mysore, over a period of 3 years. A City Innovation Hub team will be placed within each ULB to implement and monitor city level activities, support in resource mobilization, coordinate with various stakeholders and provide technical support.
TARU is seeking dynamic, innovative, self-motivated and results-oriented professionals to play key role in the City Innovation Hubs in the 3 cities. The candidates will align and contribute to the project objectives and help in the effective implementation of the same. TARU is, therefore, considering to engage 'City Innovation Hub Manager" to provide necessary support to the project at city level.
Role & Responsibilities
Broadly, the role & responsibilities shall be:
- To act as main interface of the project at the city level
- To provide strategic operational guidance for city level activities
- To plan, implement and monitor city level project activities, and provide technical support wherever needed
- To identify stress points in WASH service delivery and scope innovation in the city context
- To support in resource mobilization at city level for project activities
- To support in partnership development and networking with and between public, government (national/state/local), civil society, private sector stakeholders, academia, donors, etc.
- To facilitate knowledge sharing among cities, states, national and global platforms
- To manage and work as a team with other project partners
- Any other related responsibilities, as assigned.
The specific tasks to be undertaken are:
- Lead the planning, implementation and management of project operations as per the work plan and ensure delivery of all outputs and other tasks for day-to-day management of project
- Mapping of stakeholders (government, private sector, civil society etc.) at city level viz. their role and responsibilities and build rapport with them
- Coordination with the National Innovation Hub team, state/city project teams, strategic team and project advisory team
- Technical support and assistance to cities for development of policies, plans, strategies, and systems for effective WASH service delivery
- Support in mobilizing financial and technical resources for the project at the city level
- Organizing the workshops/meetings, and conferences at city level where all key stakeholders, key experts and organizations can participate for better understanding and coordination on the projects.
- Assist in monitoring progress, evaluating results and identification and resolution of constraints
- Support in development of documentation reports, case studies, tool kits; branding and communication material preparation, etc.
- Prepare/coordinate the preparation of the capacity and knowledge building programs for stakeholders at city level
- Knowledge management and advocacy for improved policies, business and sector performance
- Assist the states/cities in preparing DPRs/revising necessary documentation to get approvals/permits for project implementation
- Regularly interact with the government officials and other stakeholders; and sharing progress through presentation and case studies, seeking feedback and involvement, etc.
- Organizing joint site monitoring visits with the identified stakeholders for better understanding of the project and activities; to identify strengths/weaknesses in the program implementation and provide feedback and technical assistance for timely corrections
- Aligning work style with established work culture and leadership, project partners' team and other key stakeholders
- Assist in the preparation of monthly/quarterly reports for submission to USAID and other key stakeholders.
- Any other related responsibilities, as assigned.
- Post Graduate or Professional degree in Social Sciences or other related developmental discipline relevant to this role, from reputed institutes.
- At least 6-8 years' experience, especially with working as project manager/program officer for WASH-sector regional scale projects; and experience of working with city governments and/or private sector and working on government programmes/schemes
- CSR Fund mobilization experience will be an added advantage
- Excellent networking and partnership/liaison building skills
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to plan and execute projects at scale, especially in WASH sector
- Proven skills in team leadership, research studies, project management, implementation, quality assurance, financial management/planning, setting standards, and monitoring.
- Skills in MS-Office, relevant planning/implementation tools.
- Good analytical and knowledge management skills including writing and presentation skills.
- High personal & professional integrity. Team player and ability to work under pressure and meeting deadlines. Problem solving attitude. Experience of managing teams and logistics
3 positions- one each in Udaipur, Faridabad, and Mysore
Attractive. The remuneration shall not be a constraint for the deserving candidate.
Candidates can mail their CV with three references to Prince Francis at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last date of application is April 30, 2017. Please include current and expected CTC in your application. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only shortlisted candidate will be called for interview. All rights are reversed to make amendments to TOR or shortlisting of candidates.