B-Active (Be Active or Bhubaneswar Active)
The B-Active (Be Active or Bhubaneswar Active) Project aims to empower citizens to co- create and manage their neighbourhoods and open spaces through:
- Revitalisation of water ways, tanks and streets.
- Using its landscapes as productive spaces offering opportunities for urban agriculture.
- Reclaiming public spaces for cultural, art and social activities.
- Raising the profile of organised sport and active recreation.
Bhubaneswar was among the top cities in the ‘Ease of Living-2018’ index by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) however, there is a need to improve the quality of public open spaces in Bhubaneswar, while simultaneously addressing the issue of declining levels of physical activity in the city. The project intends to bridge the gaps observed during the implementation of several of its SCP components related to Bhubaneswar’s public open spaces like:
- Lack of an enabling framework to maximize use of public open spaces.
- Local capacity building constraints in programming and activation of formal public open spaces.
- Use of technology to better monitor these valuable city assets and improve citizen participation.
- Tools for co-creating and co-managing the public infrastructure investments. Inequitable spatial distribution of parks at the city scale.
The B-Active project incorporates the concepts of resilience based planning in its five city assets : streets, water, parks and open spaces, sports playgrounds and heritage and aims at meeting its objectives by:
- Empowering citizens to co-create and manage their neighbourhoods and open spaces.
- Revitalising its water ways, tanks and streets and act as sponges for capturing, storing and cleaning its water systems.
- Reusing its landscapes as productive spaces offering opportunities for urban agriculture and interacting with nature.
- Reclaiming public spaces to engage in cultural, arts and social activities.
- Raising the profile of organised sports and active recreation.
- Sports Persons
- Senior Citizens
- Street Vendors
- Public Spaces
- Landscape Design
The B-Active project incorporates the concepts of resilie based planning in its five city assets of streets, water, parks and open space, playgrounds and heritage sites.